Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
If you're looking for meaty, savory dish this one's for you. Throw this one pot meal on the stove, sit back and relax.
Turkey provides a lean source of protein and is high in selenium, providing over 60% of your recommended daily amount in just one 4 ounce serving. Selenium, a mineral, is necessary for the smooth running of your body's detoxification system (glutathione peroxidase, if you're curious) and also helps recycle vitamin C, which then can act as an antioxidant. Grab the selenium/vitamin C combo with the addition of bell peppers. Not only does one serving contain 100% of your daily vitamin C, but bell peppers also contain high levels of potassium to keep your muscles and cardiovascular system going strong.
If you caught our ratatouille recipe, you know we love our tomatoes. Tomatoes add a savory flavor to this dish and the slow cooking time increases lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps protect your heart and fights cancer. Onions contain the polyphenol quercetin as well as sulfur compounds, which means they're brimming with powerful antioxidants that help protect us from cardiovascular disease and cancer. Research shows that garlic helps boost our immune system, and may even reduce the severity of the cold and flu. (Pro tip: when you cut or crush garlic, allow it to sit for 15 minutes to raise the level of health-boosting compounds.)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and coat pan. Add sausages and cook about 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove from pan and drain.
- Add peppers, onions, salt and pepper and cook until tender. Add oregano, basil, and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add marinara, red wine, diced tomatoes, and chili flakes (optional). Stir occasionally.
- Cut sausages into around 1/2 inch long pieces. Add back to pan. Cook an additional 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, quinoa, or in sandwich rolls. Top with fresh Parmesan and enjoy!
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian turkey sausages
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 red, orange or yellow bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups marinara
- red pepper flakes, seasoned to taste